How to Apply Boat Stickers – Instructions Getting Started
- 1 How to Apply Boat Stickers – Instructions Getting Started
- 2 Sticker Layers Make Up
- 3 Sticker Installation Instructions Check List
- 4 Testing Your Boat Surface
- 5 How to Take Care of Your Stickers
- 6 PDF Boat Stickers Installation Instructions Datasheets
- 7 1. Round Boat Registration Stickers Instructions – click here to view. 2. 1 colour boat regos or boat names instructions – click here to view. 3. 2 Colour Sticker installation instructions eg with shadow or outline click here to view. 4. Clinker, Ribbed or Lapstake Style Hulls – click here to view.
This is a thorough guide on how to apply our boat rego stickers and Boat Names Stickers.
Same process can be used if you purchased your stickers elsewhere.
These stickers are easy to apply as long as you follow the instructions below.
Sticker Layers Make Up
Vinyl Stickers consist of 3 layers.
- Top Layer – This is the application tape that holds your stickers together.
- Middle Layer – These are your vinyl letters.
- Bottom or Under the Sticker – This is a sheet that protects the sticker glue and keeps the stickers together.
Rule #1 – At no stage should you apply our vinyl sticker kits using the wet method.
The only positive using this option is that installing is a breeze.
The issue with this process is you need to wait for the water to dry before removing the app tape. If you don’t wait you
will pull off your stickers from your boat.
The other issue is the glue used on the application tape will break down and will stick on your substrate which will require some time to rub and remove.
Sticker Installation Instructions Check List
- Apply dry not wet.
- Please install stickers only in a shaded area. Make sure that your substrate is not hot.
- Watch out for the wind. My suggestion is to make sure the day you apply the stickers is not windy. Otherwise you may end up running down the street or beach area trying to retrieve yours. Yes this has happened with my customers and running down the beach in shorts, blue singlet and tinnie in another hand is not a good look.
- Do not apply early or late evenings in cold climates or cold winters. Surface moisture can be an issue if trying to make stickers stick straight away.
- LEAVE air bubbles alone. I see many thrill seekers recommending to others to use a particular method that will damage the vinyl. This is trapped oxygen and will flatten with the sun on its own accord.
- Only use the dry method installation process. By using the wet method approach you need to wait a day or 2 for the water to dry out and you will be left with app tape glue on your hull which requires a bit of elbow grease to remove. So stay away from the wet application method.
- Stickers may take up to 4 to 7 days for them to cure on your substrate.
- Remove any surface polish from the substrate area before applying the stickers.
- Make sure you wash the surface area properly with soapy water and dry the area.
- Polish your boat only and polish around not the the stickers.
Testing Your Boat Surface
One great way to make sure your boat surface is ready for a sticker application is by cleaning and preparing your surface first.
Once you have done this cut a long piece of masking tape. Then stick this across the area where you will be applying the boat stickers.
If the masking tape sticks then your stickers should as well. If not then you need to do more surface cleaning.
How to Take Care of Your Stickers
- Don’t use high pressure water to wash your stickers. This will remove your boat stickers.
- Don’t use anything besides a soft soapy sponge to wash your stickers then rinse with water.
- Dry the stickers with a clean soft cotton cloth.
- If a sharp corner/edge on your sticker or graphics starts to peel just snip 1 or 2mm.
PDF Boat Stickers Installation Instructions Datasheets
You are viewing the how to apply boat stickers webpage.